Blog Directory To be or not to be..... HAPPY? - International Observation

To be or not to be..... HAPPY?




What is happiness?  Is it defined by a specific set of variables that are dictated by our assumptions of a level of bliss enriched by a sense of fulfillment?  Is happiness a flexible concept that differs based on the attainment of a set of expectations?  If so, then how are expectations commissioned and governed to fruition? 
  
  Are you pursuing your own happiness, or rather trying to find happiness in the ‘handbook’ of societal norms?




 A longitudinal study provides a remarkable analysis of the human condition and how it evolves over time.  From early childhood through adolescence, people are subjected to conditions which ultimately define the psychological factors that determine their interpretation of “successful living (Bock, as cited by Shenk, 2009).”  The impact of generational expectations, their failures and accomplishments in conjunction with identity factors contribute to the formulation of perception.  Family functioning, spirituality, consistency, sense of acceptance, abuse, and disruption correlate with coping mechanisms which enable successful adaptation to life’s challenges.  The ability to adapt over a lifespan, and modify expectations accordingly, will ultimately determine the ability to grasp the feeling of success.
Research confirms that happiness is directly related to social expectations.  The value of happiness based on these findings is dependent and evaluated by the individual relative to the happiness of others. For example, the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis (Murillo & Martinek, 2010) cited a study relating happiness to wealth.  Their findings revealed the following:
One of the most accepted explanations for this apparent puzzle is that individuals' happiness is not determined by their absolute level of income but by how their income compares with the income of others. According to this explanation, societies fail to get happier with economic progress because as economic conditions advance and average incomes rise, the reference standard that individuals use to judge their situation relative to others also rises.

SOURCE: General Social Survey data available at http://www.norc.org/GSS+Website. Real income per capita based on authors' calculation using data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis and the Census Bureau (as cited by H-Murillo & Martinek, 2010)

Valliant determined that adaptation is essential to overcome the burden of social expectations of ‘well-being’.  Deviance from social norms is often associated with a failure to meet social expectations which implies that the individual has failed to find happiness.  Anna Freud formalized this concept by looking at adaptations as “defense mechanism” which either “shape or distort...a person’s reality (Shenk, 2009).”  Feelings and emotions which stem from our perception of reality can either be healthy or unhealthy for the fulfillment of happiness, depending on how they are psychologically managed.  If our perception of happiness is defined by high social expectations, then the less likely we are to achieve and sustain happiness as the struggle is all the more difficult.  The fulfillment of happiness is therefore contingent on the ability to adapt to life changes and modify expectations based on individual needs and healthy defense mechanisms to social critique.

 The ability to manage our defenses is determined by the socialization process experienced in childhood and the coping strategies that result.  Valliant (as cited by Shenk, 2009) asserts that the inability to adapt, or manage these defenses, is often attributed to mental illness.  However, he also suggests that what may be described as mental illness, in reality and perspective to the person experiencing these unhealthy adaptations, are really a means to cope when confronted with the demise of our expectations.  Shenk (2009) notes that “According to Dr. Valliant’s model of adaptations, the very way we deal with reality is by distorting it – and we do this unconsciously.”  Furthermore, he identifies distortions as a means of protection which may be experienced in times of distress. Distorting reality as a means to achieve happiness if viewed as a coping mechanism therefore questions the validity of social deviance as a form of ‘mental illness.’ Mental illness as a result of social distress thus interrogates the appropriateness of social expectations as a variable of the attainment of happiness.
Happiness is intricately related to expectations, which are set by the individual but are also influenced by social constructs.  While the propagation of the human condition begins at childhood, it is nurtured through adolescence and further defined by the management of defense mechanisms in adulthood based on our interactions.  Low or unclear expectations of success by society favor a progression towards individual happiness as a state of well-being as they are not constrained to a specific set of social ‘set points’ for happiness attainment.  Here it is important to consider the socialization process as it relates to identity development.  Generational, cultural, and social values and beliefs as they are transmitted define the framework of successful functioning which impacts the individual’s development of expectations.    

Realigning expectations with personal goals in opposition to social ideals precipitates vitality, thus securing the actualization of happiness.


References:
Shenk, W. (2009, June).  “What Makes Us Happy?”  The Atlantic.  Retrieved January 13, 2010                           from http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/print/200906/happiness
Hernández-Murillo, R. & Martinek, C. (2010, January) The dismal science tackles happiness data. The Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis: The Regional Economist.  Retrieved from stlouisfed.org/publications/re/articles/?id=1860

24 comments:

Sarah Scott said...

Wonderful post, Helena. You are a truly gifted woman.

I am in full agreement with your thoughts on this topic. Coming from a psychodynamic frame of mind and analogous to the ways in which people look to society, I believe that as infants, children, and teenagers we look to our parents/guardians for approval, acceptance, and unconditional nurturing when we "succeed" and also when we "fail". Overtime, if we are denied the aforementioned, we then look to others or to other entities to feel satiated, to feel loved, and to feel "happy". I believe that what happens in our younger years - unless of course adapted or modified - carries on into adulthood, hence the problematic aspects of basing one's subjective views of "happiness" on what the outside world deems appropriate.

Tantamount to the instability of figures from our younger years, society will not always be constant, empathetic, or nurturing. Ensuing, we will constantly be striving for inauthentic happiness which we erroneously assume is genuine. More often than not, this "happiness" will vacillate and waver until we have truly discovered the happiness that is in complete congruence with our inner being.

Sarah

woodhana said...

Wow - so many things - the Happy face in the nuclear cloud blows me away. lol -

"our perception of happiness is defined by high social expectations"

This will always cause a race to happiness which is neither won or lost. To me this would not achieve true happiness. Happiness is found within. True we are victims of our environment and social behavior. That being said if you have relatively high social environments - then you have access to the more tuned in, highly touted mentors, gurus, books or tools. Again supporting the fact you find happiness inside. In closing - the ending paragraph lends itself to a Seneca belief. tell me what you think. Seneca, Lucius Annaeus Known as "the Younger." 4 B.C.?-A.D. 65.

Helena said...

Sarah,

Thank you for reading and for your kind words. I agree that happiness comes from "within" and only through the desire to seek out happiness through identification with our "inner self" will happiness remain static.

When writing this post I was thinking of a particular article I read where this boy was constantly told he was going to be a doctor just like his father. He got a scholarship, went to med school, then his grades started slipping. He got involved in drugs and drinking and attempted suicide on several occasions throughout his 20's and 30's. After rehab and extensive psychotherapy he realized that he was so miserable because he was not happy. He hated med school, and further couldn't stand his father. He had a passion for something (I'm not sure what it was) that did not meet his family's expectations of how he should achieve happiness (i.e. money). By pursing a path less noble and not becoming an M.D. he would be a failure (to his family and social circle). With such high expectations set upon him as to what "ought to be" his life coupled with his inability to reach a state of peace with his own ambitions set a head on collision course with misery.

Perhaps you've read the same article. This example is only one of so many. Most people I've witnessed with addictions, abuse, etc. have felt a sense of failure to some degree and their sense of hopelessness I feel is directly related to their societal convictions.

Helena said...

Woodhana,
I appreciate your insight into this issue! I just responded to Sarah and saw your comment. Both of your remarks are quite similar so I am inclined to refer you to read my comment to her and it is quite relevant to your post. However, you mentioned the "Senaca" belief. I am not at all familiar with that, but I am very glad that you referenced it. I will see what I can find out and get back to you. Thank you for reading and for engaging in this discussion!

Anonymous said...

"People are as happy as they make up their minds to be" - Abraham Lincoln

Helena said...

To all:
I just want to say Thank you to everyone for your feedback. I just finished responding to roughly 25 personal emails which highlights the sensitivity of this discussion. Who would have thought that "happiness" would be so delicate? I appreciate and value your responses, and even if you feel that you do not want them displayed publicly, I encourage you to continue to email me personally.

woodhana said...

:::
Thank you for the kind reply.
Love the work and the messages - Keep them coming.

Catarina's World said...

It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
- Groucho Marx

Anyway to be serious, I do believe happiness is in your mind. Ypu decide if you are happy or not.

Helena said...

Catarina,
Your thoughts are directly in line with Abraham Lincoln's quote.

As they say, great minds think alike!

Anonymous said...

Happiness requires not only the decision. It also requires consistency even though a person may have no reason to be happy. Happiness comes to those who are consistently thankful for the good things they have in life and the belief that good will still come to them even when their is trial and difficulty. In Viktor Frankel's book "Man's Search for Meaning," he tells his readers that he remained alive because he believed he had something of significance left to do with his life. In fact, part of the military training our troops receive is based on this philosophy. Perhaps, we should all be happy when we discover that significant something we all have in life to do!

K said...

My opinion is that for the most part, people tend to value happiness according to how much success (or lack there of) they have achieved in a material sense. All the trappings of a luxurious life style, big mansions, cars, etc. Yet when you look at these so called rich and successful people, most of them tend to be miserable and unhappy about what accomplished. It is almost like these people have spent their entire careers climbing up a ladder only to realize that when they have reached the top, the ladder is leaning against the wrong wall. Material wealth is a notion that is limited in time and space but the realm of the inner/spiritual world is timeless and everlasting.

True happiness comes for within, where mind, body and soul are one. It is completely legitimate to want the finer things in life but there must be a balance between the material and spiritual worlds. Only then can we achieve a sense of inner peace and tranquility, which are hallmarks of true happiness.

L said...

Happiness is not defineable intellectually. Spirituality cannot be intellectualised.
One cannot pursue happiness, one can only adopt the approach to life that attracts Happiness.
The wrong approach to life drives Happiness away and the right approach to life attracts Happines.
Put it this way, the very least I can be is Happy. So anything more than that is undescribeable.
Happiness is not a destination, it is the method of Life.
To know Happiness is to experience it for oneself.

kyle said...

"To me happiness is true perception of self-worth"

Anonymous said...

Helena..... The issue is whether to continue the ride thru the rapids or channelise our energies/life to the quiet back waters ..... when this question can only be answered with the ink of economics and the pen of responsibility of running a family then it raises a cloud of emotions which are difficult to comphrehend .... but it is the whistle blowers like you who nudge us back to the right path or to say the least show the torch in the right direction and leave it to us to decide the next move ......

P said...

Following Maslow's Heirachy of Needs phychological theorem, I think the pursuit of happiness is part of human nature. Even our Founding Father's espoused that!

You're right. That explains why some people who have achieved wealth, fame or both are still unhappy. It IS because they pursued what they thought would make people like them, not what makes them like themselves.

It's all about under going continual self assessment and being honest with one self.

PD said...

A colleague recently expressed some disdain for positive psychology because of the word "positive." Positive psychology has made wonderful strides in defining happiness, especially in the area of happiness as an intrinsic skillset that includes resilience and a high degree of internal locus of control. In my colleagues mind, the term "positive", along with the word "happy" both implied a sort of forced rictus smile to cover up high levels of denial about any painful events in life. Certainly, in the early days of the human potential movement, Positive Thinking smacked of this greatly. The concern was that somehow, seeking happiness (or claiming it) involved the refusal of pain, a great teacher and a rich part of human life. In fact, the positive psychology approach speaks deeply to happiness as a learnable skill that allows us to embrace, reframe, and learn from our pain and trauma. This resilience is a strong preventative against impacted trauma conditions such as PTSD, and it also helps reduce the physical harm from stress, even permanently reversing some of the negative physiological effects.

So -- am I happy? You bet your booties I am! Do I experience pain, disappointment, boredom, depression and even occasional despair? Absolutely! I also practice gratitude, unconditional giving, and deep relaxation. It doesn't change circumstances, but it vastly empowers me to endure the tough times, and even more importantly, it leaves me best equipped to solve any problems that are within my scope (and some that I wouldn't have thought of as being within that scope.)

Anonymous said...

Once I stopped trying to make people happy, I became happy. I turned 50 in 2009. I really like myself now because I've stopped being what I thought other people wanted me to be. I am content with my life, learned to enjoy myself, enjoy the real me. I learned that I can create my own reality, that I don’t need anyone to make me happy. I have people in my life to enjoy my happiness, but I don’t depend on them to make me happy. I try to limit my time around negative people and they drain my energy. I try to limit my intake of negative activities such as watching the news, reading articles of doom and gloom that our media is so fond of promoting. It took me a while to realize this and I’m glad that I did because I am truly happy. Thanks for sharing your article, your ideas and beliefs. Cheers.

am said...

Nothing could be as elusive as happiness in its form and method of attaining it. Since happiness is a hypothetical construct, I assume anything could pass through as happiness. So I am airing only my understanding of happiness.Happiness could be construed as a state of being when one is at ease with one's state of being. Since the state of being can be sliced into any chunk of time, it would be okay to say that i have episodes of happiness. Notwithstanding of the fact that there are moments when I am not at ease with myself. When I am not ease with myself it manifests itself in various forms like confusion, sadness or irritability and I know at that moment of being I am not happy. It pulls us towards an obvious conclusion that an overall happiness is a just summation of these moments. I assume that is very clinical checklist kind of view. Hoiwever, I dont think it is necessary or correct to take summative view on that account. Because previous episodes of happiness are hardly relevant other than the purpose of reslience. So one fine morning I get deeply unhappy because of a trumatic event, all the previous of moments of happiness ( no matter may of them were there or for that matter how intense they were) are inconsequential. I also believe happiness needs little bit of scavanging....and needless to say some people better in scavanging happiness than others ...

Anonymous said...

I grew up in a war torn country. As a child I used to dream of coming to the U.S. to find an environment that was conducive to finding peace and happiness.

I have lived in the U.S. for several years now. I have worked hard and have struggled and have failed and succeeded. Many times I experienced a sense of happiness. Throughout the years, however, I have learned that happiness is relative and can be experienced somewhat differently depending on the circumstance. There are many things that over the years I have appreciated and perceived differently. When I was younger results and achievements made me happy. Today I feel happy when I listen to Vivaldi. I am happy when I watch a hockey game with my dad. I am happy when I have a cup of coffee in an outdoor cafe where I can see the trees and the clouds. I am happy to be alive and to be able to swim in the ocean. I am happy when I help others realize their dreams and when I see a smile in their face.

I believe that happiness is definitely a flexible and multi-dimensional concept.

I don't pursue happiness. It just happens. I believe that I begun to experience happiness not when I moved to the U.S., but rather when I begun to live the moment.

M said...

Some spiritual traditions talk about 'bliss', which is a state unaffected by externalities. Sounds nice - and I can certainly think of some externalities that affect my happiness or lack of it.

GratefulDanl said...

Speaking of externalities and how it may affect one's happiness, reminds me of a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon in which our anti-hero gloats over a "C" grade while his rival, Suzie, achieved an "A." She asks,"Why on earth would you rather get a 'C' than an 'A'?!" Calvin's response: "I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone's expectations." So he realizes happiness by changing the external expectations, a bit of a twist on the discussion.

Helena said...

Thanks for the Calvin & Hobbes reference! I used to love the comic in the daily newspaper. Never thought I'd come to view him as a philosopher!

Anonymous said...

If you pursuing the "handbook" of societal norms you will never know what is happiness, just do what you think its will make you better and happy and you will get what you want :-)

Anonymous said...

It is a bit unjarring when the life doesn't go as the handbook says it should go and it seems everyone else is following the handbook and getting the results they should but I wonder at times are they really happy.

Post a Comment